Don't ask for ideas and then not accept them

I'm writing tonight because I'm frustrated. At my job I am a page designer and we had a meeting the other night where we were asked not to break basic style book rules but we were also asked to try out new ideas with the page. I saw a fellow designer doing something interesting with photo placement so I decided to try the same thing, the ultimate design was overall interesting and kept the reader in the story. The editorial decision however did not like the idea, understandably it did break many of our style rules but I am mainly frustrated that we were asked by both editors as well as the adviser for my job to try new and interesting things, the adviser liked the design but ultimately the decision is left to the editors, but we were both shot down. Don't ask for new and interesting ideas if they are just going to be shot down and you're not even willing to try it once in print!! If it doesn't work then don't let it be printed again, but isn't that what we are supposed to be doing is trying new and innovative ways to create designs? Why not just see the reaction?

No comments:

Post a Comment